Friday, April 16, 2010

So is this rocket science?

As this module draws to a close, I think I have finally found an answer. Let me bring you all along on a rollercoaster trip through the thoughts that I had throughout the whole semester.



1. I could explain that with math

At the start of the module, I was very disturbed. As I was reading through the different models of communication, a constant thought went through my mind. Humans love to complicate matters. Things got worse when the models went from linear, to quadratic, to infinite dimensions. I thought I was going to solve differential equations.



Suddenly I had a very crazy thought. I was thinking about how to find a mathematical equation that explains how people interact. It seemed possible because if all else fails I can fall back on my conservation laws. I thought I was going mad. I feared becoming like the lead in "A Beautiful Mind".



2. Merely guidelines

Fortunately, things took a turn for the better. When Brad said the rules were all merely guidlines, I heaved a huge sigh of relief. Suddenly all thoughts of that all encompassing equation disappeared and I am glad I retained my sanity. All but 7 rules were left in my head; the 7Cs. Of course, 7Cs beat having equations of infinite power...



3.It just sounds better

As the number of skills builder we were exposed to increase, I could not help but notice how intuitively everything was. Too intuitive in fact. Everytime I saw a certain tip, I would often go, "Hey I knew that!" Yet someone was always able to take take the most intuitive and most simple of things, put it into words, make it sound impressive and suddenly it seemed like no one had thought of such intuitive behaviors before. Human capacity never fails to impress me. However, suddenly something simple became so complex again. I was once again perplexed.

4. Purely subjective
This is right, that is wrong and that could be improved further. Assignment after assignments, I got increasingly dejected. It seemed like there was not a way to improve myself contrary to what was being advocated by websites. As days go by, it seemed like my grades were going to be purely based on talent. Maybe it IS rocket science because I simply did not get it.

5. A Grand Finale
Then came the project. As my team and I revised drafts after drafts and got feedback after feedback from Brad, suddenly things looked a little brighter. The 7Cs came into use and the feedback slowly made our proposal look better. The proposal was finally a polished end product. I was pleased.

Soon there was nothing much left in the way but the presentation. This was when it all came together. The 7Cs made sense. The different guidelines from the presentation websites and from Brad's feedback helped a lot as well. Truly, my teammates really showed what guidelines mean; they are merely guidelines. While we were influenced by the 'new' style, they maintained their own individuality and it all came together nicely in the end. And the bad habits, something I thought would cause my downfall, could actually be controlled. I was elated by the discoveries from just one course.

Communication is not rocket science. It might be complicated at times and made to sound more perplexed than it actually is by Man but I would say it is more akin to an art. The things one encounters in communication might be counter-intuitive but it just needs that extra bit of effort. It needs that extra effort to constantly be aware and to constantly work hard and try to change the counter-intuitive things to become second nature. I am glad it is not rocket science as I embark on my continual path to perfecting this art....

11 comments:

  1. Hey Soon Yee,

    What an interesting final reflection indeed!
    I also felt the same sort of feeling when I read the different models of communication. At that time, I was asking myself that is it possible to represent a model with differential equations? Through the modules, I am glad to know that rules are merely the guidelines- it makes me feel relief and relax. I absolutely agree with you that communication is more akin to arts though we apply some science principles. Yeah- all we need are awareness, extra effort, and willingness to improve to perfect the communication!

    All the best for coming exams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this reflection, Soon Yee. You take a creative chronological approach, focusing on how simplicity and complexity seem to exist side by side (or one after another) in the realm of communication. Certainly you illustrate how the course has been a roller coaster ride, too.

    I'm glad that you made it into the station, too, with not only your sanity in tact but your confidence in your skills enhanced. That gives me great satisfaction.

    Thank you for all your effort and many contributions to the course and to the group rapport this term, and best of luck as you see how far the science of effective communication can take you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post! Yes, I agree with you that communication is more of an art rather than a science. Surely there are guidelines and tips to follow but they are certainly no formulas that need to be strictly followed.
    And yes, humans are complex beings and that there is no formula to which humans interact with one another. I guess it is this complexity that make humans being interesting and that is what make each and everyone of us so different each other.

    I am glad that through this module we have learnt the art of communication and that we are able to apply whatever we learnt in this module in the future. All the best for your exams and also in whatever you do in the future! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Soon Yee,

    Well I definitely agree with you. I think communication is very subjective. What looks or sounds good to one may not be so for another. That is definitely one of the key things that I have learnt from this module.

    For your presentation, I agree that your group definitely used the guidelines while maintaining your individualities. For me, at the end of the day, individuality matters because if you can make that presentation your own, then you have made it that much more memorable.

    I do have to credit you on the fact that you actually listened to our criticisms and improved on them in the course of this module. I was amazed at your transformation in the presentation. I hope I wasn’t too tough on you with my criticisms. Hope you will remember the tips and apply them for your future job interviews!

    Geraldine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for their comments. Glad that you all liked the post. I was afraid it was a little too exaggerated haha.

    Geraldine: I admit I am not the best at taking criticisms because I can get really beaten up by it quite badly. However I do listen to the criticisms and try to improve but sometimes I might take it too seriously and end up lacking confidence.

    Actually just to share with everyone, it was not just the mock interview. I went to one more interview after that. It was some dubious interview and I sort of felt like I was tricked into it. Nonetheless, I realized how badly I portrayed myself. Yes I was feeling angry that I was tricked but then again, I need not show it so blatantly. A dubious job is still a job.

    One thing I learnt from that interview was how difficult it is to hide your "true" self. Like I said I was angry and I could not help but show dislike. Additionally, he could feel that I never had to work hard for anything in my life before. That comment really hit me quite hard for various reasons. Anyway my point is just that it is really near impossible for me to hide feelings like that. How do I do it? Anyone has any experience like that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Soon Yee,

    I guess we are similar in many ways. I take critisms rather badly at times and it does affect my confidence. I guess that is an area I have to work on. As for hiding my feelings, I can be really bad at it too. If I really dislike someone or am disinterested in something, my facial expressions usually give me away easily. I guess its all about knowing when to fake it. As the saying goes, “Fake it to make it”. Sometimes this is really necessary, especially for interviews. Just go into interviews with the aim of making an impression. That usually helps me a lot. You would appear more confident to your interviewers (Be sure not to come off as over confident though). Of course this takes a little practice. Once you get a hang of it, it’ll come naturallly. You would be able to turn “on” and “off” your professional personality as and when you need it. Lets just face it, most of us are do not behave that way all the time.

    Geraldine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel quite down when I realize that I might have to fake it to make it. However, I think there might be a way around it. Instead of faking it, maybe you can change yourself? Maybe I have to fake it because I think I am not hungry enough for the job so it does not really matter if I fail the interview because it is not really what I want. Perhaps I could change my own mindset instead? Could that be a better solution? At least I do not have to "fake it".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm. Let me try to explain this more clearly. Most people have a work or professional personality. For instance, when you are serving a customer or speaking to the boss, you have to sound polite and speak in good English right? Your posture and attitude has to be good too. After all in the professional world, image is everything. However, when you are with your friends and family, you are definitely not going to behave the same way. You would seem so impersonal or cold. I guess you need to find your professional personality and work at it? Does this make more sense? Maybe using the phrase "fake it to make it" was a bad idea.

    Geraldine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah I guess it would be good to cultivate a professional personality. After all, it is still work and not hanging out with friends. I was just wondering that it will be quite cool if the workplace is informal and all. Skip the politeness and suits and bring in the human spirit. Wouldn't that be ideal, hmm...

    I actually thought of some philosophical questions but I think I will just skip them instead haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Soon Yee,

    This is indeed a very creative approach in writing this entry. I suppose this has something to do with Brad's question in class about writing creatively, huh?

    I do agree with you that much about communication is intuitive to many of us. I guess this comes from what we learnt from our daily experience, too. It is more of an art and hence, there are no strict rules you should abide. Instead, what comes into place are guidelines that we can adopt into our daily communication.

    I am certainly happy that you walked away from this module, more confident in yourself, more equipped with necessary communication skills.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Actually I didn't write this because of what Brad said aboout creativity. I was trying to think of a way to answer the answer in my blog title so I thought of such a formatt. Hope it sounded okay.

    ReplyDelete