Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bad News

Today's lesson on "good news, bad news" delivery was definitely interesting. I actually printed out two quotes from the movie Saving Private Ryan as examples for this particular segment. It might not practice all the principles that were taught but I really found them very sincere and emotional so I decided to share it with the class.

Bad news
"I have here a very old letter, written to a Mrs. Bixby in Boston. "Dear Madam: I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant-General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom. Yours very sincerely and respectfully, Abraham Lincoln." "

There is one more at the end of the movie which is a good news message. If anyone is interested, they can go check out from movie sites with quotes. I decided to post one to keep the post shorter.

Credits: Saving Private Ryan (1998) from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120815/quotes

No comments:

Post a Comment